Being vegetarian, I love falafel. Being Chris, he loves shawarma. Being travel obsessed, I seek ways to feel like I am travelling everywhere I go.
Enter: the search for the best falafel (my version) or the search for the best shawarma (Chris’s version). My version is yummier which goes without saying. 🙂
9 Steps To Finding Falafel
1. Go on-line and research.
2. Get confused by widely differing opinions. Torontonians apparently are very protective of their falafel.
3. Decide on the number 1 ranked restaurant, Dr. Laffa. With that name, you got to love it, right?
4. Dig deeper. There is always dirt to be found or at least a few pita crumbs anyways. This is where the falafel experts separate from the novices.
And what do I discover? Apparently the owners of Dr. Laffa have separated and the falafel divorce is spicing up. Research suggests different reasons for the falafel feud but no reliable witnesses have spoken. Heresay, speculation and rumours abound, coating good old number 1. So we trepidatiously head out to investigate.
5. Arrive at said location to discover that the feuding falafel restaurants have now gone head to head or at least side by side. Remaining loyal to the name, Dr. Laffa calls us in and we slowly enter uncharted falafel territory.
6. We go to the counter and pretend to know what we are doing. Yes, of course, we want everything on it. And who wants pita when laffa is on order? So bring on that laffa, whatever it is.
7. Receive meal nonchalantly (I pretend to be the cool Canadian falafel version of Anthony Bourdain) but with a smile of course. We are Canadian after all.
8. Dig in, devour, digest and drag ourselves out. Wondering why? Feast your eyes on this. Yes, some of his shawarma shots are mixed in with my beautiful falafel ones. I lost editorial control somehow.
9. Declare Dr. Laffa my new best friend and vow to return for many more falafel feasts in the future.
Dr. Laffa, you had me at the first bite. Although I know you may be in the middle of a messy divorce, I refuse to choose sides. Hang in there and know that I do love you, just the way you are.
Do you have a story about feuding restaurants? How did you choose? Falafel or shawarma – which do you prefer?