Thanks to S.D. Gates whose blog shares the most amazing true ghost stories I have ever read, I have been asked to highlight 10 things I love and hate. Oh I could go on about how I truly hate how my bangs curl up and how I love the sound of rain on the roof but oh no… that would mean following the rules (why did I think law was a good choice for me, ever?)… so, I am going to focus on my true love (sorry to Chris and my family) which is, of course, travel.
10 Things I Love About Travelling 🙂
1. I love that feeling when you have just landed and step out of the airport, ready to face a new country, never knowing exactly what awaits you.
2. I love the “ordinary” within each country – the laundry, the stores, the houses, the animals, the markets, the squares, the food. Oh how I love the food!
3. I love when my choice in restaurant/ hotel is friendly, clean and cheap.
4. I love when the negotiating is done (I am rotten at it) and I walk away with something I love.
5. I love meeting new people who brighten up my life.
6. I love when I see something and it is way more amazing than I ever could have anticipated. (Taj Mahal, Angkor Wat, Machu Picchu, Sahara Desert, wildlife in Africa, souks in Morocco…)
7. I love waking up very early and wandering around when there are no tourists and only locals, getting ready for the day.
8. I love trying to speak a new language and someone actually understands (or pretends they do).
9. I love people watching. If this was an Olympic event, I would have medalled many times.
10. I love reading about a place and knowing that what I am reading is just outside my door.
10 Things I Hate About Travelling 😦
1. Leaving to come home
2. Seeing that cockroach scurry behind the hotel furniture, knowing that there are a million more in hiding
3. Wondering if the person “helping” me is really “helping” me or has other intentions (I usually try to stay on the positive with this one until proven wrong a few times in a place)
4. Getting that crampy feeling in my stomach and knowing that the “western style” toilet doesn’t work (as a result, I am a fan of squat toilets that do work!)
5. Choosing the wrong thing on the menu
6. Mosquitos (having had malaria and dengue fever, these are not a girl’s best friend)
7. Sitting at the back of the bus, suffocating for fresh air and nauseated from its turns.
8. Not being able to drink the tap water and wash with my mouth open (try showering and never getting water in your mouth….not easy… or am I just challenged in this area?)
9. Trying to learn the money and how much it is worth in my currency (after years of this, I still suck at it)
10. Packing and unpacking and packing and unpacking…
As I was always the one who broke the chain letter when I was a kid, I am afraid I still do as an adult. So if you would like to write about what you love and hate, just say that I nominated you 🙂 and go for it!
What do you love/hate the most about travelling?